Sunday, March 27, 2011

Hubby and I spent the night in the lovely city of Bendigo last night. We went there to visit my Pa who (if you have not been caught up of late with my blog) is palliative with cancer. He was placed in the Hospice last Thursday after a visit with the Doctor. He was dizzy and dehydrated so an ambulance took him over to the hospital. The Hospice is just so lovely. It is clean, well set out, he has an en suite and the staff are beautiful. Pa was happy to see us when we got there last night. He was not yet asleep. His mind is racing 20 to the dozen. Nothing wrong with his mind, the mind of a 40year old! Which makes it extra difficult for him. Like he said, "I am an independent old bugger and I am just not used to being fussed over left right and centre." I just said to him, " Pa, you brought your kids up, you made sure they had a roof over their head and food on the table, now it is your turn to lap up the care and be pampered". He couldn't argue with that. He showered himself yesterday and because his feet are so cold he forgot that he had his slippers on. Poor bugger. He laughed and we laughed and we looked outside in the courtyard of the Hospice and there were his soaked slippers sitting on a chair. Hubby and I placed a mattress in the back of the Pathfinder and we slept in it for the first time ever. I must say, we were ever so comfy and warm. We woke up and did some small chores around Pa's place and then we went to visit him again this morning. We took in hubby's laptop so we could play a video I had taken of Nick playing his acoustic guitar. Pa was so happy, he especially loved Nick's rendition of Waltzing Matilda. Nick left a small speech at the end of it just for Pa. It was such beautiful weather today here in Victoria. We made the trip home without a hitch. I had a small snooze and am now early for work. So I thought I could catch people up on what is going on with my Pa. I will be going back to Bendigo Wednesday, Tuesday if I need to. Hubby cooked the yummiest dinner tonight, chops and lots of veggies, yummo! xoxo

5 comments:

Jayne said...

What beautiful memories you're creating with your Pa and lovely moments for him xxx.
Sorry to hear he's in a hospice but if he's being pampered then that's good :)

Mom said...

Lovely post

Middle Child said...

Oh Caz sooo sad - my dad was killed when I was 15 but if he had lived I would have wanted him to have the love and caring you guys are giving your dad and deservedly so

phishez said...

Funny you should pop by the blog the other day, I have just put up a post!

I'm ostly on facebookk these days. Send me an email at phishezrule@gmail.com, it would be great to have a catch up of e-sorts.

Middle Child said...

Hd to read this again - Why do i feel like Crying? I felt as if I could see the whole scene and laughing about the slippers and such - He sounds so much like how Don was - even in extremis finding things to laugh about...have to love him