Tuesday, June 05, 2007

MISSY HIGGINS...


Last night I had THE pleasure of watching this lovely talented funny and warm young lady perform LIVE via Bigpond Internet. I sat in my bed, put on my headphones, and enjoyed over an hour of wonderful, raw music, of differing genres.

Missy not only composes each song, she also is a wonderful lyricist too. Before some of her songs, Missy would talk of her tour of Australia and some funny happenings. She also spoke of the meanings of her songs, why she wrote them, what makes her tick. She is soooo honest, and I believe her, when she says that "Songs, the words, they just come to you, you can go for months, like a drought, and not think you will never write another song again".

Well, Missy, you show no signs of slowing down, and your audience enjoyed every single song you performed. We could feel your words, empathise with the lyrics too.

Missy is accomplished at playing different kinds of guitar, she swapped guitars quite a few times depending on the song of choice. She is an amazing pianist, it is as if the keys are an extension of her fingers. Then, of course, we all know, when a person sings without instruments backing them up, and can vocalise so well, they certainly are a star performer. Missy IS that!

What made me laugh muchly was when Missy spoke of being part of her brother's jazz band when she was alot younger. She was 14, dressing up to look 18 to perform in clubs. She called these days of wearing high heels and make up her, "Slut bag hore bag days"..she did not even remotely come aross as sassy when she said this, it was all tongue in cheek...this, is what makes her the down to Earth lovely performer she is. See her HERE in an interview a month ago. See for yourself what I am talking about.

Next time she performs in town, I want to be there! Here is one of my favourite songs of Missy's...I could not find my favourite one live called, "Peachy". (Not sure if that link will work, it takes you to Missy's My Space page and you can click on the song titled Peachy and it will play for you)

It is such an upbeat song too. So here's Missy Higgins singing "The Special Two"




22 comments:

Keshi said...

this Missy is for sure AWESOME. I like her songs and especially Ten Days.

Keshi.

Todd said...

Very nice. She's not bad looking either!

Anonymous said...

Not a huge missy higgins fan, a little to happy for my tastes... How ever i will aways support Aussie acts especially one who write their own material and give it a go...

Nothing but respect for that

Steph said...

LOVE Missy, I saw her live at the Enmore Theatre in Sydney recently and she is amazingly talented.
The Special Two is such a swoonworthy song too. Nice choice.

surfercam said...

Damn. Wish I had know that was on. She is great.

general_boy said...

Not the biggest Missy fan these days, but I certainly appreciate her originality and talent. :)

Anonymous said...

Ignoring most modern music, as I do, I really think I might have missed something with her. While I know who she is and her major track success, I heard a song of hers on the radio today and it was rather good. She performed at the Palais last week. Lucky she got in before the lease holder was kicked out.

poody said...

I am not a big female artist fan but she is an exception to my rule! Great vocals.

Andy B said...

She's a dyke, right?

Crabby said...

I'm gonna have a listen right now, Cazzie. Thanks!

phishez said...

I have respect for Missy's talent, but her music style doesn't appeal to me personally.

Glad you enjoyed the concert.

Irene said...

That was hella cool. Thanks for sharing! ;p

G-Man said...

Never heard of her...until now! Thanks Cazzie for introducing her to America...G-Man

Lucy said...

I don't know Missy. But someday I watch her like Steve Irwin.

Chris Morris said...

I'll pass this on to Alicia, she might dig this as well.

rosemary said...

Can't do the Tube with dial up so i'll just hum.

Cazzie!!! said...

Keshi, she sure is one of a kind with that voice.

Todd, she has such lovely clear skin and rosy cheeks too :)

Aidan, yes, I getcha, and I getcha about her being home grown too, exactly.

Steph, I loved warm whispers too...that is a lovely song..do you agree?

Surfercam, wish I knew that you didn't know, LOL.

GB, original she is.

Andrew, nevre knew what was happening with the Palais. LAst time I went there was for a Fergal Sharkey concert..remember him? LOL ages ago! She would have sounded awesome in that venue.

Poody, I heart her and a few other female artists.. like Janis Joplin, Arethra, Tina Turner, anastasia, anyone who can sing without background instruments is great for me :)

Andy, I dunno, I know she is a vegan and is involved with PETA and shit like that, but I dunno mate,....food for thought.

QOD, truly funny shit.

Cabby, NP.

Phishez, yeah respect for her talent is just it :)

Irene, glad youn liked it, coming on over to visit ur site later.

G-Man, alot of her songs from hr current album were recorded over in the USA :) She had some great musicians backing her there too, she loves it over there and will tour there end of 2007.

Lucy, I am glad you know Missy now.

Beekcake, I bet she will :)

Rosemary, yes, we used to have dial up, and so I know how it goes. This girl has a unique voice, I cannot describe it.

Jay said...

I have never heard of her before today. She's has a lot of talent.

Cazzie!!! said...

Jay, I am glad you got to see her, look out, she is coming your way end of this year.

Keshi said...

G'day Caz!

Keshi.

Middle Child said...

Missy Higgins is a "one off" not a lot of them about...I love it when she is on the radie...

Cazzie!!! said...

Keshi, huggs :)
Therese, huggs to you too, I know, her voice is like no other.