Tuesday, November 08, 2011

November already...

Today Nicholas went to the Secondary School he will attend next year in 2012 for a "welcome to Hoppers Day". This is a day where the Grade 6 children get to experience what Secondary School is like, it is a pre-orientation day. Nick got to do a Drama Class, English class and then play sports. He really enjoyed it too. At the end of the day, there was an assembly. I can see why the kids loved it there, they were treated on the level, and not like babies as they seem to be treated at the Primary School level during assembly. There was also an air of authority within each teacher's speech, whether feulled by the kids' own heightened level of anxiety of impending High School or not... but, at the end of the day the kids were super charged and cannot wait to come back for more on Orientation Day in December.
In two weeks time there are information evenings on these netbooks the children will be receiving from the school. It is a new initiative and I still do not know if I like it or not. I like the idea of kids learning from real books, writing with real pens on real paper and only using the computer for a reference if need be.
My girls wrote hand written letters with an attatched hand made necklace to Mrs Claus. Why not to Santa Claus I hear you ask? I do not know the answer to that. I have set the letters aside at a friend's place so I can present them to the girls at their 21st Birthday parties :)
Sarah has asked for new shoes, some random art kit and bead making set items and two DVDs. Easy. Mia just wants a microscope, a butterfly necklace and a dinosaur.. a toy one of course. So now I know what it is they wish for. I just wish for health :)

4 comments:

FoxyMoron said...

Well you know what they say Cazzie, behind every successful man (Santa) is a great woman (Mrs Claus) so the girls are going right to the important person. ;)
Emily got a laptop from school too but it seems they rarely use them and still seem to use books and pens for learning. I think it's a colossal waste of taxpayers' dollars. Thanks for your kind comments on my blog. :)

Jayne said...

LOL
I'm with Foxy, the girls know where the real power lies in the North Pole!

Mom said...

It is amazing how quickly the kids grow up. I enjoy hearing about your children's progress.

Ginnie said...

I'll be interested to hear how it goes with the Netbooks. I would be a little leery too but maybe it will prove to be a God send.
We've just learned that my oldest son's 9 year old daughter has Asperger's syndrome, a type of autism, and there is a lot of new information to prove that the computer and automation is opening up a whole new world for these children.