Monday, February 12, 2007

Any other Day but Feb 14th...

Last Friday I took Mia shopping in the morning. We went to Aldi to shop. As we were coming out through the checkout there was a stand with alot of lovely flowers on it. Mia yells out, "Muuuum, we HAVE to buy daddy some flowers!" An elderly lady was behind me pushing her trolley and giggling, she said to me, "That is so gorgeous that she would want to buy flowers for her Dad, and the fact it is not for any given occasion shows true feelings of love". I agreed with her. We bought the flowers and Mia proudly carried them out to the car from the shopping complex.
Thing is, cut flowers are dead when you buy them, I mean, they just don't last very long. I guess roses are the most hardy of the lot, and they last longer if you out some sugar in with the water too. I am going to dry these pink roses, same as pictured above. Who knows, I might get crafty like my friend Sam :) You have to see the things she does, they are awesome and all pictured on her blog Gollywobbles.
When I was growing up, my dad would buy my mum, my sister and I a gift every Valentine's Day, coz we were " his girls". That was special, but we were also told every day that we were loved too. So I do the same with my kids. I tell 'em I love 'em even if they drive me bananas :)
That's an easy thing to do right now as I worked two afternoons over the weekend and so Mondayitis hits me even more so. Thanks to my honey for getting them off to school today (MWAH!! Pash, pash, suck face all that jazz!!!)

Yesterday I had two things of note tht stood out to me. In the morning before I went to work I listened to the Radio. They were talking about these young blokes who made the trip to Melbourne from Sydney to do one thing, they vandalised the place, but they got caught. A measly fine ensued and they were free to go back to where they came from. Pure and utter disrespectful little twirps!!! The radio hosts were going on about kids nowadays being disrespectful, yadda, yadda, yadda........
I get to work in the afternoon and I scrounge about for some orange juice for one of my lovely patients. I am saying" Oh no what now?" with my head in the fridge and I get, "What's wrong nurse?" from behind. Turn around to find these three lovely young boys there. I say I cannot find OJ for my lovely lady patient and they say, "No problem, we will walk down to the shop and buy her some". Goodness of their hearts, wouldn't hear of me giving them money..I tell ya, they brought back the biggest Bottle of OJ and a packet of CC's for us nurses to share. Now...it is these yougn people that put the vandalising little shits to shame!!!
Come on, gimme some good news stories people!!!! Spill it...

17 comments:

Flat Coke and Flies said...

That's so sweet about the OJ. Sometimes we come into contact with the GOOD people of the world. I love it when that happens.

Jay said...

It's nice when you run across kids like that that renew your faith in today's kids.

Middle Child said...

WE have a 19 yr old AIN (assistant in Nursing in NSW...maybe in Vic)..and she comes to my husband privately to do his showers 5mornings a week for two hours. She is the best "nurse" we have had really since 1982.

Too many of them bought along all the drama of their lives so that by the time Don came out at 9am we were exhausted mentally, some were religious fruits who would look on dissaprovingly at however I was getting my own kids up for school in my own home... etc etc...one took us to the cleaners and cost us $20,000 and some grief (yes we were insured with workers comp, she got wads from them also... she had a sore computer elbow.

But this kid is a dream...she is calm, gentle, funny, stirs him a bit (good) sosoo clean. She showers him, dresses him and there are a lot of other things needed along with this...gets him up and leaves the room clean and orderly as you would like your own bedroom and bathroom left at home - all in 2 hours and she never appears to rush.

Her other job is at a old peoples ' home which when she talks about it, it is with fondness for the people, again humour and sadness forsome who have no family visit...

not bad for a 19 yr old...running a whole house by herself with no financial help at all from her non working partner...

there are wads of great youngsters around.

Keshi said...

** "Muuuum, we HAVE to buy daddy some flowers!"

thats so sweet!

Im not much of a Vals Day fan hehehe. But yeah, I do buy chocs for mum n sis :).


**they vandalised the place, but they got caught

Well I hope they got severely punished for what they did. It's sad to think that some ppl have deranged minds like that!


Keshi.

ChickyBabe said...

Goes to show the world is still a nice place. Shame the media doesn't focus on spreading good words and good deeds.

The Samstress said...

Hi Cassie! Thanks for the nice words and the link to me. Nice post as well....cheered me up knowing a friend will be burried today. Age 50, she died in her daughters arms. She was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in June....

Anyway, at the wake yesterday something interesting happened. My friend Mary introduced her husband Erik to another friend Laurie. Laurie had a funny look in her eye when she asked Erik if his dad was a teacher? He said yes, but he passed on 10 years ago.

Laurie told Erik she had his dad for an instructor when she was young and quite a handful. At the end of the school year her instructor signed her yearbook, and quoted a scripture from the bible, and at the time Laurie thought it was strange that he wrote some numbers under what he wrote. Years later as she matured, she remembered that scripture and had her husband frame it for her. She realized that the instructor could still see the good in her, and had faith in her and knew she would understand some day.

So she looked at Erik and said she never had the chance to thank his father for making a difference in her life, and here she was giving Erik a gift in a way, giving Erik another reason to cherish is dad. It was such a beautiful moment, she actually made a difference to Erik.

Every day is a gift, when you know someone has passed on. Take care!
Sam/Gollwobbles

poody said...

that is so sweet giving her dad roses! I tought you were a visiting nurse not in the hospital. Guess I am wrong. Have you ever done home health?

Aidan said...

Most kids are great it is just (as always) a small population that stuff everything up for the rest of us... As part of SLSV (surf life saving victoria) I met many great young people (6-18) all of which dedicated to saving lives, and strong community spirit.. it is out there.

Im with keshi about valentines day, not a fan, why wait to tell someone how you feel.

Stace said...

That's very sweet of the boys. It does happen, sometimes, that somebody performs a selfless act. It's always nice to hear of, it gives hope for the human race!!!

Leighanne said...

It goes to show that not all kids are bad...

tommiller said...

I once thought I had pooped my pants, but it turned out to only be a fart.

Is that a good news story enough for you Cazzie? lol

Wanderlusting said...

My bf bought me flowers for our anniversary...kinda fancy ones from a supposedly nice florist.

They were dead in two days!

So dissapointing....

BTW Mia sounds adorable :D

peppypilotgirl said...

It's so nice when someone proves that there is good still left in the world. Clearly, Mia and those 3 boys at work are examples of that.

Good luck on the Get Fit Project!! I've been working on it via weights. It's slow but I'm firming up some. Now, if I could just stop eating chocolate, I'd be all set.

Rebecca said...

Umm, the tommillar comment was by me, not the real Tom Millar.

Cazzie!!! said...

FC&F, I agree with you there, and I could tell so many more stories too.

Jay man, it sure does mate.

MC, Yep, I have worked with girls like that before and their selfless work goes unheralded, yet, if we pay tribute they would just say it was all part of their job.

Keshi, those young guys got off with a fine and what they should have gotten was a month imprisonment for their disregard of vandalising a place.

Chickybabe, I reckon u r right hon :)

Sam, karma coming around is such a great thing, I LOVE that story!!!

Poody, I did do a weeks worth of District Nursing back in the early 90's with my training and I did enjoy it. I started off in an aged care facility making beds, then I became a ward assistant, then I completed my degree in health sciences nursing and now I work in a Major Hospital on Nurse Bank...so I work wherever they need me, anywhere from Emergency up to the wards.

Aidan, we just watched the show about the Lifesavers on Bondi Beach last night. I let the kids waqtch it before their bed time. I thought it was a great way to show them what CAN be achieved by hard work and determination. You hit the nail on the head mate, there are more good younguns than the norty ones :) Yep, Valentines Day any other time than just on the 14th Feb.

Stace and Leighanne, it sure does give hope in society.

REBECCA!!!! I knew it was you before I finished reading that comment, PMSL.

Wanderlusting, yeah it is so true, fresh cut flowers are indeed dead flowers :( Nice for a few days and then, BLAH!! Nice sentiments however in receiving them. Yes, Mia CAN be cute when she wants to be (winks).

PPG, LOL, my weakness is of the savoury kind, not the chocolate kind unfortunately. So we both need to be careful on that part. So, weights is it?? Tell me more in your blog enrty ont he weights you do :)

Rebecca, the sleuth in me just knew it, and it makes me LOL.

Mark said...

Good news:

Tomorrow is VD day (and not the STD kind)!

Oh - wait, tomorrow for us is today for you, so when you read this it might already be the fifteenth in which case it will be VD day for us but too damned late for you.

Aw fuck it...

geet said...

It's so sweet that Mia wanted to get flowers for her daddy, just because.
It also shows what a loving family she is growing up in, and that's a gift that she will bring with her always.

Happy V day Caz:)

p.s. I love roses myself:) www.geetsflowers.wordpress.com